Charleston Slip & Fall Attorney
South Carolina law gives recourse to victims of accidents that happen as the result of dangerous conditions or inadequate warning. The Charleston slip and fall accident lawyer, Max Sparwasser, has the experience necessary to get victims the compensation they deserve.
Slip and Fall Cases Are Premises Liability Cases
Slip and fall cases are a subset of premises liability. Premises liability refers to a broad category of the law designed to protect the public from negligent property owners and managers.
Common Slip and Fall Injuries
When you slip, it is possible for you to fall forward, backward, or to the side. Depending on where you are and what your surroundings are, it is possible for you to fall on something hard or sharp. This could cause bruises, breaks, and more.
It is also the human instinct to try to prevent yourself from falling too hard, causing you to twist and turn your body in different ways. This could cause soft tissue damages from twisting or stretching your body in unusual ways.
Here are some of the most common injuries sustained in a slip and fall accident in South Carolina:
- Fractured arms or hands
- Broken hip
- Sprained ankle
- Back and neck injuries
If you recently got injured in a slip and fall accident and sustained one of these injuries, contact a Charleston slip and fall lawyer today. They will help you file a claim and provide legal guidance.
Compensation for Damages Available
When someone else’s negligence results in an injury, the victim should receive compensation for the injury. The law refers to compensation as “damages.” The type and amount of damages awarded depends on the injury and circumstances. A victim can receive a damages award for:
- Lost wages. Time off from work due to the injury and subsequent medical appointments.
- Future earnings. Future wages lost due to an inability to work at full capacity or at all.
- Medical bills. Medical expenses incurred including deductibles, co-payments, and medications.
- Future medical care. Medical expenses that the victim will incur in the future because of the accident.
- Altered trips or plans. Missed vacations, theater tickets, or sporting events.
- Pain and suffering. Compensation for the pain and suffering that the victim experienced as the result of the accident.
The insurance company covering the liability cost for the responsible person or entity will have a team of lawyers representing them. The job of those attorneys is to make sure the insurance company spends as little as possible. Recovering full compensation takes an experienced Charleston personal injury lawyer like Max Sparwasser.
Stairs, Sidewalks, Parking Lots: Likely Places to Fall in Charleston
Typical places for slips and fall accidents are:
- Stairs. Handrails missing, loose or broken stairs or items stored on the steps frequently contribute to falls.
- Sidewalks. Poorly maintained sidewalks with cracks or gaps create unsafe conditions for pedestrians.
- Parking lots. Injuries occur in unlit parking lots, places where debris lays on the ground, and when those responsible don’t clean up oil slicks.
- Retail stores and restaurants. Customers and employees risk falling when no one cleans up spills immediately or when someone leaves boxes stacked in the aisles.
- Playgrounds. According to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) over 200,000 children under the age of 14 are treated in emergency rooms each year due to playground falls; 10% of the injuries result in a traumatic brain injury.
- Performance venues. Sports arenas are notorious for debris littering stairways and aisles. Inadequate crowd control, broken bleachers, and slippery floors all create hazardous conditions for attendees.
Charleston Property Owners Often Liable for Injuries
Under premises liability law, property managers and owners are responsible for providing a safe environment for employees and visitors to the property. They may be liable for any injury that occurs as the result of their failure to correct hazardous conditions or warn the public that the hazard exists. Victims of a slip and fall accident can file a claim against the property owners or managers.
After your injury occurs, you must notify the property or business owner of the accident. It will be harder for your lawyer to prove that they were negligent is there is no documentation of the event.
If you believe that your property owner is at fault for your slip and fall injury, call a Charleston slip and fall attorney now.
Slip and Fall Lawyers Protect the Victim
If a slip and fall accident hurts you or someone you know then it’s important to document everything carefully. It may not be too late to get pictures and other documentation if you act quickly. It’s helpful to have a visual and/or written description of the conditions prior to, during, and following the accident. Conducting a thorough investigation is essential to proving a slip and fall case.
Hiring an experienced Charleston slip and fall lawyer is the key to winning a slip and fall case. They can help you answer questions like:
- What should I do after a slip and fall accident?
- What rights do I have after experiencing a slip and fall injury?
- How can a file a claim against a property owner for a slip and fall injury?
The Max Sparwasser Law Firm, LLC, knows how to conduct a thorough investigation and go up against powerful insurance companies to fight for its client’s rights. Don’t try to navigate this alone and end up settling for less than you deserve. Call our Charleston slip and fall attorneys today for a free case evaluation.