Charleston School Accident Lawyer
Children in the United States spend a large majority of their time at school. When parents send their children off to school they expect their students to be safe and free from harm. Unfortunately, accidents and injuries do occur at school – it is estimated that around 4 million children under the age of 18 are injured annually at school.
If your loved one sustained an injury at school, get the representation that you deserve by contacting one of the Charleston school accident lawyers at the Max Sparwasser Law Firm, LLC.
Sometimes, the accident is simply a result of normal child behavior and development, such as a collision on the playground. Other times, school officials have acted in a negligent manner. These cases are important to bring to light to stop similar injuries and to receive financial help for medical bills.
Types of School Accidents in Charleston
Accidents occurring at one of the schools in South Carolina come in a variety of different forms. Some common school injuries involving negligence include:
- Abuse; physical or sexual
- Negligence of facilities
- Playground injuries
- Roadway crossing injuries
- Physical Education injuries
- Teacher negligence
- School bus injuries
- Slip and fall
To determine whether the injury your child received at school was due to school negligence, hiring an experienced Charleston school accident attorney is highly recommended. Even if your child was seriously injured at school and you believe the school was likely not at fault you should still contact us. We can investigate the situation further to determine if there are grounds for a personal injury lawsuit.
For example, if your child was diagnosed with a concussion after slipping on the ice entering school you may be under the assumption it was an unavoidable accident. In reality, the school has an obligation to remove any ice before children enter the facility in order to create a safe environment. The school may be at fault for your child’s injury. If you’re unsure of whether or not the school was liable for your child’s injury, speak to a personal injury attorney in Charleston for help.
Types of School Negligence
- Negligent Supervision. Negligence comes in many forms for schools and their officials. Many times, children are injured during accidents in which a trusted school official has been negligent with supervision. For example, a teacher steps out of the room to talk to a colleague. Meanwhile, a student in the unsupervised classroom rocks so far back in his seat that he crashes to the floor, receiving a concussion. With proper supervision, this accident might not have occurred. The school official could be found to be at fault.
- Negligence in Hiring and Training. Improper hiring procedures or lack of training on the part of the school can also be a form of negligence. For example, a school district hiring personnel without proper background checks. If the individual is found to have been convicted of a crime that puts children at risk then the school was negligent in their hiring process.
- Negligence in Maintenance of Equipment and Facilities. Schools have a legal requirement to provide a safe environment for children including proper maintenance of facilities and equipment. If a child falls down a stairwell with a faulty handrail then the school is not properly maintaining its facilities.
What to Do After A School Accident or Injury
If your child has been injured in an accident at school, it is always in your best interest to contact our firm. Many times, what seems like an innocent injury can actually reveal neglect on the part of the school. Charleston school accident lawyer, Max Sparwasser, has the experience and professional background to determine whether your child’s injury was caused by the school or their staff. He will personally evaluate your case to look at all factors of your child’s injury.
If there is a basis for a legal claim, Max will see to it that your case is represented thoroughly and fairly. For a free consultation and evaluation of your case, call the Max Sparwasser Law Firm, LLC, at (843) 864-6444.